Last month, Wayne was in Wilmington, North Carolina for the American Institute of Building Design's (AIBD) National Convention. As part of the convention, the AIBD gave a historic architectural tour of The Port City and we thought we would share a few highlights from it.
Savage-Bacon House. An Italianate style house built about 1850 for Henry Russell Savage, native of Connecticut, Cashier of Bank of Cape Fear. It was a residence of the Bacon family from 1881 to 1891. Henry Bacon was engineer of The Rocks, the construction that closed New Inlet. The Italianate style aspects were obscured by the Neoclassical Revival style remodeling of 1909 during the ownership of Percy Reece Albright, Vice-President of operations, Atlantic Coast Line Railroad. The oak stair is particularly robust and effusive.
Image Source: http://www.rosehill.com/about-us.html
Bellamy Mansion. Designed by architect James F. Post, the Bellamy Mansion is one of North Carolina's most spectacular examples of antebellum architecture built on the eve of the Civil War by free and enslaved black artisans, for John Dillard Bellamy physician, planter and business leader; and his wife, Eliza McIlhenny Harriss and their nine children. After the fall of Fort Fisher in 1865, Federal troops commandeered the house as their headquarters during the occupation of Wilmington. Now the house is a museum that focuses on history and the design arts and offers tours, changing exhibitions and an informative look at historic preservation in action.
Donald MacRae House. A Shingle Style house designed by James Brite and Henry Bacon. The original plans survive. A former Wilmington resident, Bacon was the architect of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, DC for which he won the AIA Gold Medal in 1924. The house was built for Capt. Donald V. MacRae, Spanish-American War veteran and president-treasurer of Wilmington Cotton Mills; and wife, Monimia Cary Davis. The family sold it in 1955 to St. James Parish which uses it as offices and just completed a half-million dollar restoration and rehabilitation.
Image Source: http://ncarchitects.lib.ncsu.edu/people/P000028
John A. Taylor House. A Greek Revival style house designed by Benjamin Gardner, builder-architect, in 1847. Its marble-facing, and entrance set in antis, and belvedere set between the four interior chimneys, are unique in Wilmington. It was built for John A. Taylor, native of New York, shipping and railroad industrialist, civic leader; and wife, Catherine M. Harriss. From 1893 to 1951 the building served as an armory for the Wilmington Light Infantry. The WLI gave it to the city of Wilmington for use as the public library. The library occupied the building from 1956 to 1981. The house is owned by First Baptist Church which uses it as offices. The interior is distinguished by elaborately carved doors and window surrounds; the design probably came from a pattern book.
Image Source: http://ncarchitects.lib.ncsu.edu/people/P000063
Thalian Hall. Antebellum City Hall/Thalian Hall was completed in 1858. The complex combined civic and cultural use. The Hall forms the east wing of Wilmington's magnificent Classical Revivial City Hall with its colossal order, cast iron Corinthian columns and window hoods that testify to the wonders of the machine age in which it was constructed. As one of the most significant theatres in the US, it has been in continuous use since it opened. It is the only surviving design of nationally recognized theater architect, John M. Trimble of New York. The elaborate interior evidences some original appointments and some early twentieth century renovations, which prodiced the ornate proscenium arch. Virtually every great national performer and celebrity performed on its stage during its first 75 years and now serves as the center for the civic and cultural life of Wilmington.
Image Source: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fichier:City_Hall-Thalian_Hall_(Wilmington,_NC).JPG